Monday, September 26, 2011

Doctor Who Episode Review - The God Complex


Dr Who and co. end up in a hotel. When they meet some of the people staying there something turns out to be terribly wrong. I sort of enjoyed this episode - the Indian girl and the nerdy guy were nice characters and I thought that the minotaur's dilemma was touching. But style was too derivative of other recent, popular movies.

Everytime the hotel shifted it took me back to 'Inception' (it even looked similar). The surveillance footage looked like it could haveb een lifted directly out of 'Paranormal Activity' and the minotaur looked like a creature from Pan's Labyrinth.


The story was decent but as a whole this episode had too much of a cut-and-paste feel for me to get fully immersed in it. The alien character was too annoying to be funny, though I did like the Doctor telling him what's what. But even when the Doctor was convincing Amy to let go of her faith in him, it all felt too predictable.

And then, in the last few minutes of the episode I had completely forgotten about their adventure. The Doctor leaving Amy and Rory behind to save them had me in tears. Maybe I'm too easy, but their goodbye tugged at my heartstrings and made me wish for more poorly written adventures with the best recent companions. I just really like Amy and Rory. They work well together with Matt Smith's Doctor. The season is nearing it's big finale and I've got my fingers crossed that this isn't the last we've seen of the feisty redhead and her loyal husband (although I'd be surprised if it was).

No comments:

Post a Comment