Wednesday, October 20, 2010

SOTW: The Craft Review



Sarah (Robin Tunney) is new at school. She gets talking to Chris (Skeet Ulrich) who tells her about Nancy (Fairuza Balk), Bonnie (Neve Campbell) and Rochelle (Rachel True). He warns Sarah not to get involved with these weird girls because they are witches.

Nancy, Bonnie and Rochelle are looking for a fourth member to complete their magic circle. They need someone to help them invoke the spirit of "Manon". After Sarah discovers that she is a natural witch, an inheritance from her deceased mother, she seems to be just what they've been looking for.

With the addition of Sarah, the girls become very powerful. They wreak revenge, unleash a love spell, make themselves more beautiful and eventually manage to invoke Manon. Inexperienced as they are, they neglect the rule of three - everything you do, you receive back in threefold. From here on everything goes horribly wrong.

I've watched this movie a few times before when I was in my teens (and a goth, into wicca etc.) and really liked it. Upon rewatching it I found that the story had a real heaviness to it that I didn't remember about it.

It incorporates issues such as suicide, racism and (near) rape and I found it harder to sit through now I wasn't so focused on the magical element.

The overall mood is very joyless and especially the bleak, final face-off I found really hard to watch. It has some good (and a few dated) effects, cool 90's fashion and a good soundtrack. Charmed's theme song How Soon Is Now by the Smiths features early on.


Maybe I just wasn't really in the mood for it, or have outgrown it. But other than those few good points, it didn't entertain me. The ending was too weak to relieve the tension built throughout the film and I came away from it in a pretty bad mood.

If you're just getting into magic, witchcraft and the whole goth-scene, maybe give it a try. Besides that, I wouldn't really recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment